8 Every Day Uses for Sour CreamThe Hood Answer Mom, Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D.
If you think sour cream serves only as a topping for baked potatoes or the basis of your favorite onion dip, it's time to reconsider.
With its creamy texture and just-enough tang, Hood Sour Cream elevates the flavor of weeknight meals and snacks, and sparkles on special occasions, too. And, sour cream is good for you: Hood Light Sour Cream has more calcium than milk!
You'll find dozens of delicious, quick recipes that feature Hood Sour Cream on our site . Here are some more ways to use any type of Hood Sour Cream every day:
• Give your pancakes some zip. Combine 1 large egg and 1 cup sour cream. Mix well. Add 1 cup of pancake mix. Cook pancakes, and top with fruit and a dusting of powdered sugar.
• For a quick chicken marinade, combine 1 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and your favorite herbs and spices, such as chili powder, garlic, and parsley.
• Make an easy sauce for cooked salmon, chicken, or beef: In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons drained capers, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and ½ cup sour cream.
• Skip store-bought Ranch salad dressing in favor of this flavor-packed version. Mix 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise, ½ cup sour cream, 1 clove minced garlic, 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley or ½ teaspoon dried parsley, 1 tablespoon minced chives or 1/2 teaspoon dried chives, 1/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, and ground black pepper to taste. Thin with Hood Milk to desired consistency
• Provide potato salad with an interesting edge. Mix two pounds cooked, cubed potatoes with a combination of 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise and ½ cup thinly sliced scallions.
• Mash it up. Mash about 3 1/2 pounds cooked potatoes with 1/2 cup sour cream 1/4 cup Hood Milk, 2 tablespoons tub margarine, 1/4 cup real bacon bits, and 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives.
• For creamy guacamole, mix 4 large ripe mashed avocados, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
• Stir powdered sugar (or artificial sweetener) and a few drops of vanilla extract into sour cream. Enjoy as a dip for whole strawberries.