Broccoli Rice and Cottage Cheese Casserole
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, cut into thin rounds
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups bite size broccoli florets and top parts of stems cut from 1 medium-large head broccoli
- 2 cups Hood® Country Style Cottage Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs, toasted
Preheat oven to 350F.
Cook the broccoli: In a large skillet with a fitted lid, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until translucent, 2-5 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and 1-1/2 cups water. Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat until almost all of the water cooks out and the broccoli is tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Allow the broccoli to cool.
Assemble the casserole: In a large bowl, mix the Hood Country Style Cottage Cheese with the rice, egg and about ¾ of the cheddar cheese. Stir in all of the cooled broccoli mix. Grease an 8-inch square 2-quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil. Spoon the mix in an even layer into the dish.