Pasta Primavera with Lemon Cream Sauce
- 16 ounces uncooked macaroni, such as penne
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups of 1 1/2-inch asparagus pieces (about 13 stalks)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Hood® Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbps. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted (leave on the counter for five minutes)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
- Fresh basil for garnish, if desired
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well, return to pan, and keep warm.
While the pasta is cooking, make the lemon-cream sauce. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the peppers and asparagus and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl or plate and keep warm.
Using the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth and simmer until broth is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and lemon juice and mix well.
Add the cooked vegetables and the peas to the pan with the pasta. Stir to mix completely. Add the lemon cream sauce and the cheese and stir until well combined. Add the tomatoes and stir gently. To serve, place the pasta on a platter and top with a dash of crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh basil, if desired.
Per Serving: Calories: 496, Carbohydrate: 70 grams, Protein: 16 grams, Fiber: 6 grams, Fat: 17 grams, Saturated fat: 9 grams, Cholesterol: 40 milligrams, Sodium: 404 milligrams, Calcium: 132 milligrams.