Country Style Cottage Cheese Tortilla Espanola
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium (about 1/2 - 3/4 pound total) Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into thin (1/4-inch) rounds
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Hood® Country Style Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 small bag (1 ounce) potato chips
- 1 small bunch chives, cut into 1-inch pieces, about 1/3 cup total
Preheat oven to 375F.
Cook the potatoes and onions: Heat a 9-inch nonstick skillet and add the olive oil. Heat over medium heat until it begins to smoke lightly. Remove the pan from the heat and layer the potatoes in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. It’s ok if they overlap slightly or you have small second layer. Season with salt. Layer the onions on top of the potatoes. Return the pan to medium heat, add 1/4 cup cool water to the pan and cook, watching carefully. The water will cook down and the bottoms of the potatoes will start to brown and soften, 5-8 minutes.
Flip the potatoes: With a metal spatula, turn the potatoes and onions on their second side, add another ¼ cup water and allow for the water to cook down and for the potatoes to brown and soften more, 5-8 minutes. The potatoes should feel tender when pierced with the tip of a small knife.
Finish: Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Unmold the eggs onto a large serving platter, sprinkle with salt. Cut into wedges but do not separate them. Top with the potato chips and chives.