Garbanzo Tostadas with Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini (stir thoroughly to combine in the container before measuring)
- 3 - 4 Tbsp. very warm water
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Hood® Light Sour Cream
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. canola or olive oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15-oz. cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cups fresh tomato salsa
Place tahini in a medium mixing bowl. Add water and lemon juice and combine until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of sour cream at a time, combining until smooth. Add the garlic and salt and combine well. Add more water for a thinner sauce, if desired.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the onion mixture from the pan and keep warm in a bowl.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan over medium heat. Add the beans, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper and stir well. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes or until warm.
To serve, layer onion mixture, beans, salsa, and cilantro on each tortilla. Top with tahini sauce. Use any leftover sauce as a dip, in sandwiches, or tossed with warm pasta.
Per Serving: Calories: 552, Carbohydrate: 70 grams, Protein: 20 grams, Fiber: 16 grams, Fat: 25 grams, Saturated fat: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 8 milligrams, Sodium: 981 milligrams, Calcium: 238 milligrams.