Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green or yellow bell pepper
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder, more if desired
- 1 tsp. salt, divided*
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast**
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced no salt added tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of Hood 2% Reduced Fat Milk in the Lightblock Bottle
- 3 7-inch whole wheat tortillas
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the peppers and onion and sauté; for about 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Add the cumin, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and tomato paste to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for one minute. Add the chicken, tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans, and milk. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
To make tortilla strips, cut each tortilla in half and stack the pieces. Slice again into ½-inch strips. Place on baking sheet. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake for 6 minutes, turning once half way through.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips, Hood Sour Cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado and grated Monterey Jack Cheese, if desired.
Per Serving: Calories: Calories: 308, Carbohydrate: 38 grams, Fiber: 10 grams, Protein: 22 grams, Fat: 9 grams, Saturated fat: 2 grams, Cholesterol: 42 milligrams, Sodium: 830 milligrams, Calcium: 145 milligrams.