Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups Hood® 2% Reduced Fat Milk in the LightBlock Bottle
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Hood® Light Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed
Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and cook macaroni for 4 minutes. Drain well and add to the slow cooker.
Place butter in a large saucepan and melt over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth and bubbling gently. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chicken broth and whisk until combined. Slowly add ½ cup of milk, whisking after each addition. Return the pan to the heat and bring the sauce to a gentle boil, stirring constantly until it coats a spoon, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the remaining 1 cup of milk and the cheese to the saucepan and stir until cheese is fully melted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sour cream, mustard, and black pepper and stir until completely blended. Add this mixture to the slow cooker and mix completely.
Cover and cook on LOW for 1 ¾ hours, then add broccoli and stir well. Cover and cook on LOW for an additional 15 minutes.
Per Serving: Calories: 563, Carbohydrate: 46 grams, Protein: 24 grams, Fiber: 3 grams, Fat: 32 grams, Saturated fat: 19 grams, Cholesterol: 94 milligrams, Sodium: 569 milligrams, Calcium: 548 milligrams.